Just because colder weather is upon us does not mean our gardens should be neglected. Gardens can thrive just as much during winter as they can during summer given the proper care and attention. We’ve put together a simple guide of tips to make your garden look as beautiful as ever this winter.
- Once some leaves have fallen and plants have thinned out, you can now see the bones of your garden; this is the perfect time to grab your gardening sheers and trim anything before they bloom again in spring.
- After you prune any plants, work some compost and organic pellets into the flower beds to keep all existing plants well fed.
- Take this opportunity (the fact that you can now see the bare bones of your outdoor space) to make any changes to the layout by leveling things out, adding some paths, and mending any walls or fences.
- Head to your local nursery or do a quick Google search before purchasing plants on Gumtree to find out which plants do well in winter. Grab a couple of these to brighten up the space while you wait for spring.
- If you live in an area that is prone to frost in the early winter mornings, do some research to find out which of your existing plants can live through the chill. If your plants cannot, consider purchasing some light weight horticulture fleece to cover and protect them during the coldest weeks.
- Water your grass once a week, unless there is a significant amount of rain.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you’ll need to spruce up your home and garden, close to home.