The Back-to-School madness can be a tough transition for everyone involved. Without the proper planning, it’s an open door to complete mayhem!
But, early planning and purchasing of all your new school items, like stationery, uniforms, and sports gear, is what kicks off your year to a great start. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive Back-to-School checklist to help calm the nerves and get you ahead of the year.
The Mindfulness Checklist:
- Start with safety. Are your kids going to be in a lift club? Do they know where to wait for you after school? Are they walking to their extra-mural activities after school? Touch on these with them and make sure safety comes first.
- Talk to your kids about their school, its program, extra-mural activities, subjects, and teachers — and involve your kids as much as possible in the purchasing of stationery and uniforms, allowing them to get excited.
- Discuss your kids’ “struggle subjects” and their options to have extra lessons and tutors.
- Visit the school before it officially opens and try to meet some of the teachers — this will put both yourself and your kids at ease.
- Discuss ideas for lunches, and keep it practical but enjoyable.
- Fall into a routine at least a week before school, adjusting sleeping times, packing away games, and talking about school.
- Swop ideas with other parents, and visit sites like Gumtree to discover more affordable school supplies.
The School Supplies Checklist:
- Be sure to always first check the school’s stationery and uniform requirements, then add to it if necessary.
- Stationery basics should include: pencils, pens, erasers, a ruler, writing pads, and a pencil case.
- Textbooks can’t be forgotten, and good quality second-hand textbooks are just as good as new editions. You can significantly save on your back-to-school bill by checking if any of your kids’ textbooks are available on Gumtree or other second-hand trading groups.
- Uniform basics should include: the school uniform, a school bag, and PT clothes (remember to double check what sizes your kids are).
- When you have an idea of what you need, login to Gumtree and search for the specifics.
- Before you make a purchase, make sure you’ve looked at various options, to make sure you’re getting the best product at the best deal.
- When shopping online, always remember to stay safe and be aware of a few precautions.
- If there’s anything that’s outside of your budget now, add it to a wish-list and buy the remaining items as you can afford them throughout the year (or at next payday).
Above all, don’t panic. It’s not as overwhelming or difficult as it seems, and the sooner you get going, the sooner you’ll be ready. With this comprehensive checklist, you’re sure to get your and your kids’ year kicked off to a great start.