We all have a pair of leggings we can’t live without, whether they are a pair of vibrant athleisure leggings or the softest pair of black leggings you have ever felt. Despite how stretchy and flexible they are, leggings are not as invincible as they seem. Without the proper care, your leggings can succumb to pilling and stretching beyond the point of no return. Here are a few tips!
- Don’t over wash them. The less you wash a garment, the longer they will last. That is just a fact. Use the smell test to see if they really need a full wash, and do spot washes in between for any noticeable marks.
- Take the correct precautions when you do wash them. First, try to find a washing detergent that is meant for active wear. Always wash on a sensitive cycle in cold water with a low spin. Use a mesh washing bag, or opt to wash them inside out to prevent snagging and to help the colours stay vibrant.
- Avoid fabric softener. This is especially important if your leggings are made from moisture-wicking material. Fabric softeners contain silicone which can decrease the efficiency of their absorptive, moisture-wicking abilities.
- Avoid the tumble dryer. Always air dry to avoid warping the individual fibers which weakens the material and can cause tears and holes.
- Lift pilling. Even with the best care, some pilling will likely still occur in high friction areas. Use a sweater comb to gently glide over the affected areas in one direction to lift the pilling from the fabric.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect pair of leggings close to home.