With the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, people across the globe have been forced to stay home. In such a scenario, driving your vehicle may have turned into a sporadic event. But while we need to walk and stretch our legs every now and then, our vehicles, too, need to be driven at least once a week to avoid wear and tear. Leaving a car sitting for long periods of time can lead to degradation and hefty repair bills. Gumtree explains why it is imperative you take your vehicle out for weekly drives:
- Battery: Driving your car on a weekly basis just for 20 minutes or more ensures your car batteries are recharged and in order. One of the major reasons why car batteries die is unuse or underuse.
- Tyres: Leaving your car undriven for weeks at a stretch can adversely affect the tyres by creating flat spots. Thus, when you do need to drive the car, you will most definitely need to replace the tyres, which can be a costly affair.
- Rodents: An unused car can be an excellent shelter for rodents and insects in and under the car frame. Driving it regularly can ensure this does not happen and avoid expensive repairs in the long run.
- Car fluids: Driving your car on a weekly basis can help the circulation of essential vehicle fluids including transmission fluid, brake fluid, engine fluid and others.
- Damage: If you do need to park your car for longer periods of time, ensure you keep changing the parking spots. Parking under a tree for weeks can lead to sap and bird faeces falling on it, adversely affecting the paint job.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local car and bakkie information close to home.