Weight lifting seems to be a craze these days, but don’t be fooled; weight lifting is one of the oldest sports around dating back to ancient Greece. But is the craze all it is cracked up to be? What if I don’t want huge muscles? Is weight lifting still for me? Here are a few reasons why weight lifting is worth giving a shot, no matter what your health and fitness goals.
- Weight lifting is a great sport for gaining better mobility and flexibility; this in turn assists with reducing injury risk when training for other sports.
- Weight lifting will help increase your basal metabolic rate, or metabolism, which means you will burn calories for longer. Yes, even while you are resting!
- The heightened metabolism will also do wonders for your energy levels.
- Weight lifting is great for helping you burn fat, tone up, and improve overall body posture.
- Weight lifting helps strengthen and increase bone density; this reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find exercise equipment and accessories close to home.