It is a well-known fact that baby gear is expensive. Parents, especially first timers, go out of their way to buy their little bundle of joy the best of the best – only to realise how fast they grow up and grow out of them.
Gumtree believes that parents must not deter from buying second-hand gear, especially a pram or car seat. But before making that purchase, there are a few important factors that must be considered:
- The brakes: This is priority number 1 when buying a second-hand stroller. Ask the seller to apply the brakes in a few different scenarios to ensure they have not undergone intensive wear or tear.
- The folding system: Request the seller to demonstrate how easily the stroller/pram can be folded and opened. Often, the folding mechanism of a stroller can be damaged if it is not used in a while.
- Check-up: Take the time to conduct a thorough check-up of the entire pram to see the nicks and scratches it has endured. It is important to remember, however, that a second-hand pram will always come with some damage. You must ensure that this is not beyond repair though.
- Alignment: Push the stroller on a few different terrains to evaluate its alignment. If it wobbles or veers to one side, it may have undergone damage.
- Mould: Occasionally, prams that have been stored for months on end in a garage or porch, may be affected by mould. This is extremely dangerous and must be professionally cleaned before purchase.
- Other elements: Finally, check all other elements including the chassis, tires, wheels, straps, and other movable parts to see how well they work.
Gumtree also recommends investing in prams / strollers that can be converted into car seats or those you can use to exercise with.