We all know getting our kids out and about for some fresh air and exercise is great for their health, but enrolling them in team sports has a plethora of additional benefits you may not have thought of. From physical to mental benefits, team sports are the perfect way for our children to gain lifelong skills. Here are our top ten benefits of team sports for kids:
- Contributing to a team sport will ultimately work towards boosting your child’s self-esteem and sense of accomplishment.
- Being a part of a team is a great way to meet and build strong relationships with new friends; the camaraderie and support between team mates, as well as the coach is invaluable.
- The way a game plays out is different every time, so participating in a team sport is a great way to develop critical thinking skills; kids will need to think on their feet and come up with solutions.
- A tough lesson at a young age is that life is not always fair and that we do not always get our way. Participating in a team sport is a great way to learn this important life lesson.
- Being able to work and thrive in a team environment is a skill many adults do not even possess, or have difficulty with. Being a part of a team sport at a young age helps children learn this skill long before they will need to exercise it in the workplace.
- Team sports require perseverance which leads to better coping skills and critical thinking skills when they’re met with challenged in other areas of life.
- Team sports teach children that hard work pays off, and practice is all you need.
- If your children are lucky enough to have a coach that gives all children the opportunities to be a leader in some way or the other (like leading the day’s pre-game warm-up), your child will be given the invaluable opportunity to build strong leadership skills that will come in handy later in life.
- Being a part of a team requires discipline tactically, mentally, and physically; these skills will help them achieve their goals and reach their full potential.
- Team sports teach children to be more selfless and to collaborate with others.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find all the sports equipment your children will need close to home.