Did you know the average person spends 26 years sleeping throughout their lifetime, and a full 7 years attempting to fall asleep? With so much time spent in bed, you’ll want to ensure your mattress is in the best condition at all times. If you’re one to suffer with tossing and turning on a regular basis, have you ever considered your mattress to be the culprit? Let’s discuss how often you should change your mattress!
Here is a breakdown of the average lifespan by type:
- Innerspring: 10 years
- Memory Foam: 7-10 years
- Waterbed: 10-20 years
- All-Natural Latex: 12-20 years
- Adjustable Bases: up to 10 years
Here are 5 sings you need to grab a new one:
- Your mattress is more than 10 years old
- Your mattress shows the shape of your body as an imprint
- You wake up with aches and stiffness
- You have asthma, allergies, or sleep apnea
- You’ve added an extra person to your sleeping situation (new spouse or child)
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a second-hand or new mattress close to home.