Overlanding may be a relatively new concept but it is gaining popularity and how! It is defined as “self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal” (Overland Journal). This vehicle-based exploration is a combination of off- roading, camping and remote travelling, making it the perfect journey for the adventurous sort. So, what are the essential factors you need to know before you embark on your overlanding journey?
- Overlanding involves going off-grid for long periods of time, making it different and more intense than regular camping or off-roading.
- Existing vehicles including bakkies, trucks, SUVs and motorcycles can be customised and transformed into overland rigs. Maybe search for one on Gumtree!
- You must make a list of essentials that you will need on your trip including water, first-aid kit, camping supplies, toiletries and more.
- Overlanding is certainly not an easy ride and those participating require mental strength, resilience, a curious mind, and excellent problem-solving skills.
- As overlanding is an unpredictable journey, drivers must be prepared for harsh weather conditions, animals, language barriers and mechanical issues.
- Before overlanding, it is important to determine if your vehicle is up for the task. It is key to conduct modifications, preventative maintenance, and put other robust systems in place to ensure your vehicle is overlanding-ready.
- Gumtree recommends investing in more intensive skills such as learning a new language, medical training, and in-depth mechanical training before your journey.
- This is often overlooked but it is essential all overlanders conduct their administrative tasks before the journey. These include getting travel paperwork and insurance in place.
- Invest in security upgrades such as safe and lock boxes as well as tinted windows to protect yourself on the road.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.