The COVID-19 pandemic and its lockdowns have forced most of us to work from home. This includes constant meetings, conference calls and even job interviews on Zoom and Teams. As much as we would like to stay professional and formal, there are certain things that must be avoided at all costs.
Gumtree helps you maintain a level of decorum by explaining what not to do on these calls:
1. Be punctual: Always jump onto the call a few minutes early to avoid looking tardy. If you have any technical issues, you have these few extra minutes to resolve the situation. There is nothing more unprofessional than turning up late for an interview, Zoom or in person.
2. Practice: Not everyone is proficient with technology and Zoom is not different. We recommend downloading Zoom beforehand and doing a practice run so you understand all the nuances of the platform.
3. Gather your materials: Keep all your documents such as resume, portfolio, and references near your so you do not have to fumble during the call looking for them.
4. Attire: Even though you are attending the interview at home through Zoom, remember pyjamas and sweatpants are still a no-no. Dress professionally as you would if you were meeting the interview panel in person.
5. Background: Attend the interview in a clean, minimalistic setting without piles of dirty laundry behind you. Zoom also has the option to choose a default background image but be careful not to choose the beach or outer space. Remember, the key is to stay professional.
6. Be present: While attending the interview, stay focused and avoid fidgeting or checking your phone. You can also come across as being informal or rude if the interviewer finds you eating or drinking during the process.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find job information close to home.