It sounds pretty cool: SMART TV. But what exactly is a smart TV, and are they really all they are cracked up to be? They do come with a higher price tag, so let’s take a look at the features you can expect, as well as some pros and cons so you can make an informed decision.
What is a Smart TV?
Basically, the biggest difference between a smart TV and a traditional TV is that a smart TV is able to connect to the internet via WiFi. This gives you the ability to download apps like YouTube, Netflix, Showmax, and more.
What features do they include?
As mentioned above, you will be able to access a whole menu of both pre-programmed and downloadable apps to your smart TV. The range of apps available to you, however, will be dependent on the brand of smart TV you purchase, but you will typically find gaming apps, social network apps, and content streaming apps. Another cool feature many smart TVs include is the ability to connect your phone to laptop to your TV without the use of cables so that you can enjoy the larger screen and speakers while taking advantage of the large array of content your mobile device has for you.
- Access to streaming apps may allow you to downgrade your cable TV subscription, or remove it altogether. This is a big money saver!
- You will never run out of shows to watch with the many show, movie, and music streaming apps available to you.
- The ability to browse the internet on a larger screen from the comfort of your couch is an added bonus, too!
- Higher quality than most traditional TVs in video processing and screen resolution.
- The price point can be a bit higher, so definitely consider a well taken care of pre-loved version from Gumtree.
- Because they allow you to connect to the internet, be wary of hackers.