Congratulations, you’re going to be a parent! This life-changing time comes with a myriad of emotions including excitement, happiness, worry, and anticipation. The plethora of information and products out there can make preparing for your new addition pretty daunting, and trying to figure out what you need and don’t need becomes more confusing than ever.
We’ve put together a short list of essentials you’ll be happy to have upon baby’s arrival:
- Many babies skip the newborn size of clothing altogether, but you really don’t know how big or small your babe will be when they are born, so having a few items in this size is a good idea, just in case!
- Make sure you have clothes that are easy to remove. Newborns can be messy, and you may end up changing their outfit multiple times a day, so things like zippers down the front, snaps around the legs, and wider neck holes will make changes easier.
- While it can be tempting to buy the cutest, elaborate outfits for your little one, try to save those for when they get slightly older. Newborns will want to be as comfortable as possible, so be sure to buy plenty of baby grows and outfits made of soft materials.
- If you can afford a crib straight away, we recommend doing so to save money on buying a bassinette now and crib later. Opt for one that can grow with your baby with adjustable sides and base.
- To go along with your crib, you will need a comfortable and safe mattress, mattress protector in case of spit up or other messes, and crib sheets.
- While babies shouldn’t sleep with any loose items until they are at least one year old, having a few soft, stretchy swaddle blankets on hand will be super handy. Newborns love to be swaddled up nice and tight for added comfort and safety.
- A compactum or changing table with ample storage space for nappies, clothing, blankets, and other essentials will save you a lot of hassle down the road. It will also prevent a sore back from leaning over your baby while you change their nappy on the floor.
- Grab a soft changing mat to place atop your changing table. Your best bet is to get one that can be wiped down as messes are sure to happen!
- If baby is ever going to be out of your sight while they sleep, a baby monitor is a great investment so that you can keep an eye or ear on them at all times.
- And don’t forget to stock pile nappies, wipes, and bum cream.