Our children are the future of the planet, so getting them excited about taking care of it early will make all the difference. Here are a few ideas for activities to do with your kiddos that are both educational and fun.
- Plant a tree. The more trees and plants there are, the cleaner our air.
- Clean up a nearby park or beach. Busy seasons tend to make common, public areas quite messy. This is the perfect opportunity to teach children about littering and the effects on the planet. Making it a game could add an extra fun spin, too!
- Plan a vegetable garden. If you have even a small outdoor space, planting a small vegetable garden is a great way to have fresh veggies every day, and to learn why growing your own food is good for the environment in an exciting way. Children love to see what happens with their hard work!
- Build a composter. The best part about this is that it is not just a great awareness activity, but it is something you can incorporate into your daily life.
- Upcycle. Find some amazing second-hand furniture on Gumtree and turn it into something new with a little TLC.
- Craft using only recycled materials. Collages using old magazines or trinket boxes using old cardboard boxes with some felt pens, glitter, and stickers.
- Shop second-hand. Did you know it takes 10,000 litres of water to make one pair of jeans? Save the environment by buying second-hand on Gumtree.
- Recycle. Teaching your kids about recycling could mean informing them about different waste sorting systems, and/or what our used plastic, paper, and glass containers can be used to make.