It was Annie Leonard who said, “There is no such thing as ‘away’. When we throw anything away, it must go somewhere.”
The next time we put something into our bins or garbage bags, let’s take a step back and think about where it is ending up – most probably, in a landfill bursting at the seams with waste from your city.
But we can make a change. They say charity begins at home. Shouldn’t waste management begin with us too?
Gumtree would like to give you the following tips and tricks to be more sustainable and green in the comfort of your homes:
- Say no to plastic bags: Carry your own reusable bags to bring home the groceries and opt out of using plastic packing of any kind.
- Buy foods with less packaging: Avoid wrapping produce in layers of plastic. Instead buy in bulk and shift them to air-tight containers or your refrigerator at home.
- Donate: Donate old items such as clothes, shoes and electronics rather than throwing them away. These may help a person in need as well as save the environment.
- The 3Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – make this your everyday motto!
- Compost: Use food scraps and garden waste to make compost, which in turn, can be used to nourish your plants and garden.
- Segregate the waste: Separate the toxic waste from the recyclables in your trash every day – we don’t want toxic fumes ending up in the landfill.
- Go paperless: According to reports, 35% of the waste in landfills is paper. These include cups, tissues and so much more. Make a conscious effort to reduce the number of paper products in your home.