When you see a diaper bag and all the pockets, nooks, and crannies inside them, it can be easy to forget what they’re all for. If mommy-hood is new for you, it can be overwhelming to pack a diaper bag for the first time. To make things a little easier, here is our ultimate list for what to pack.
- Insulated bottle tote. If your diaper bag does not come with insulated pockets for the bottles, a separate insulated tote will come in handy to keep bottles warm and to keep breast milk from going bad.
- A changing pad. Make sure it is of a good size so it can grow with your baby and wipes easily.
- A change of clothes. Whether it is from a blowout or spilled food, you will likely need a change of clothes for almost every trip you take with your babe.
- Waterproof plastic bags. These will come in handy to store poopy diapers until you get home, or to store soiled clothes until you can wash them at home.
- Burp cloths. These come in handy for spit ups and other spills.
- A small blanket. You know, in case the weather changes on you while you’re out, or to cover yourself up when breastfeeding in public, if that makes you feel more comfortable.
- A few small toys. For entertainment when fussy, of course.
- A pacifier. If your babe takes one, you definitely do not want to leave the house without it.
- Diapers, wipes, and bum cream. Even if you will only be out for an hour or two, pack enough diapers for the entire day, just in case.
- Protein bars or other healthy snacks. This is for mom and dad!
- Hand sanitizer. To keep things clean.
- A jacket or sweater. Weather and time of year depending.
- Sunscreen and hat. These too are weather and time of year dependant.
Now that you have the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find baby essentials close to home.