Weddings can cost an arm and a leg, and let’s face it, many of us have gone into debt paying for it! So, are you now wanting to recuperate some of those costs? We get it! With these helpful tips, you can turn your wedding dress into cash.
Listing your wedding dress on Gumtree will not only help offset the price of your wedding, but will help another bride-to-be plan her day of love, for less! Win, win.
Okay, let’s get started!
- So fresh and so clean, clean! Getting your wedding dress cleaned before you list it is important. If a buyer is interested, they may request a try-on session, so you will want to ensure it is clean in advance. Keep in mind that wedding gowns are not like regular clothing. You can attempt to wash by hand at home, but we would recommend finding a dry cleaner in your area who is trained to take gentle care of all types of garments.
- Lights, Camera, Action! Include as many photographs of the dress as you can. Take photos of the dress from the back and front while it hangs on a hanger, and don’t forget to include the professional photographs of the dress from your wedding day. Dresses often look different hanging than they do on a body, so it is important to include both to give potential buyers a good idea of whether it will suit their frame. If there is any lace, buttons, or other unique details, be sure to include close up images of those, too!
- It’s all in the details! Include all details of the dress like the style, fabric, colour, designers, and any stains or tears that might be present.
- Cha Ching! A wedding dress, if sold within a few years of purchase (while the dress is still in style), can often be sold for around 50% of its retail price, so try not to take too long before selling. That is the general rule, but it is also a good idea to do a quick Gumtree search to see what similar dresses are going for before deciding on your final price.
- And…Sold! Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to sell your gorgeous wedding dress! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android).