Creating history by setting a new world record, South Africa’s Tatjana Schoenmaker claimed the country’s first Olympic gold in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Needless to say, swimming is a very popular sport and pastime in the country with parents encouraging their children to learn how to paddle, breaststroke and butterfly from a very young age.
Gumtree outlines the top tips to becoming a better swimmer:
- Glide: When you first enter the pool, begin by gliding for about 5 to 7 minutes to get your body warmed off. Do not start swimming lengths before your warmup is complete.
- Breathe: So much of swimming is related to breathing. Once you have completed your warmup, take a few minutes to practice good breathing that will sustain you through your swim.
- Swimming cap: Pools are highly chlorinated, which can adversely affect your scalp and hair. Always swim with a swimming cap to protect yourself.
- Swim wear: In case you are one of those unlucky few who is always cold, invest in lined swim wear that can keep you warm in the water too. However, try and look for heated pools for a more enjoyable experience. It is also important to buy your swimming gear and wear from sports shops that focus more on practicality and functionality. You may consider buying aesthetically pleasing swimming costumes from boutiques, but these may fade or be uncomfortable while swimming.
- Goggles: Swimming goggles that are not cared for can mist up, preventing you from seeing clearly in the pool. Clean your goggles with de-misting fluid before and after your swim for easy maintenance.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local sport and leisure information close to home.