Online classifieds’ site Gumtree sees an average of 6 million visitors each month, with many South Africans using the platform to generate a second income or a financial boost as needed.
“Over the past month we embarked on a campaign to discover these real success stories from people who actively boost their income by selling online,” says Claire Cobbledick, Marketing Head for Gumtree SA.
One such example was Abigail Nosipho, who purchased two gas stoves from Gumtree to help her mom with a roadside shisa nyama. She not only employs and supports her family this way. She was also able to pay for her Diploma in Business Management. Mukwebo Christos fulfilled his dreams of becoming a photographer when he purchased his very first camera on the site. Gloria Mocumi made her first sale in January this year used the additional funds to buy all her daughter’s school stationery.
“We received over a thousand entries, and in analyzing these stories we were able to identify some key factors that help our customers sell successfully on Gumtree,” says Cobbledick.
- When selling online, honesty is the best policy. Don’t forget, your buyer will ultimately discover the true nature and quality of your item so post truthful descriptions and pictures only.
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Always support your ad with clear, high quality photographs. Photographing items in natural sunlight goes a long way to boost image quality and close a quick sale.
- Safety first. Always bring a friend or family member with you to the trade location. Arrange the meeting in a public place and consider using Shepherd, a service that will facilitate your transaction from releasing funds to delivering of item.
- When listing an ad on Gumtree, list your area. Many buyers specifically look for ads listed in, or near, their neighborhoods for convenience.
- Download the Gumtree app for easier communication. When talking to a potential buyer or seller in the app’s message center, all communication can be tracked.
“These guidelines might seem simple, but they go a long way in assisting our Gumtree community to secure sales and get the most out of the platform,” comments Cobbledick. “It’s great to know that so many of our users share our commitment to online safety and simplicity,” she concludes.