The costs associated with planning a wedding can be astronomical, so any chance to save money during the process should have brides-to-be jumping at the opportunity. One of the largest costs, after the venue, catering, and drinks, is the wedding dress. Luckily, an easy way to save some costs is to purchase a pre-loved dress off Gumtree; after all, they’ve only been worn once!
Make note of these tips when shopping for a second-hand wedding gown:
- Try on dresses before you look. Before you look to purchase a wedding dress second-hand, you’ll want to know exactly what style you like and how they fit your body. You’ll also want to know your exact measurements, as dress sizes are different then your regular clothing.
- Compare prices. Be the savvy bride that you are by doing your research to know exactly what all types of gowns are going for; this way you’ll know whether something is too good to be true, or is severely overpriced for what it is worth.
- Ask Questions. Some dresses have had alterations, were custom made out of unique fabrics, come with different accessories, or have been damaged and repaired. You will want to know everything there is to know about the dress. If it was designed by a high-end, well-known designer, consider asking the seller to show you proof of its legitimacy.
- Get a lot of photographs. Some listings will only have one image of the dress hanging up, an image of the seller wearing it on their wedding day, or an image taken off the designer’s website. If possible, have the seller send you more photographs of the dress at different angles, as well as close-up images of the fabrics and any intricate detailing.
- Never pay before you see it. Be wary of sellers asking for any person information or asking you to send money to them before you even see the dress in person. Inspect the dress in person and try it on before making any form of payment.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a wedding gown close to home.