Landing a job isn’t as easy as submitting a resume that makes you look great on paper; that is just step one. Once you’ve been selected, you will need to meet for an interview, and this is where things get a little more difficult. Many of us have a hard time selling ourselves, or coming across as confident as you feel.
So how do we get past this? Preparation.
Here are our top 5 tips to rocking your next interview.
- Bring your resume with you. Most interviewers will print your resume out for themselves to look back on during the interview, but it will look good if you bring a couple copies with you, just in case. Perhaps they ran late in their last meeting and didn’t have time to print one out. It helps if know your resume like the back of your hand in case they refer to it during questioning, but in case you need a refresher, having your own copy in front of you could give you an extra boost of confidence.
- Prepare a 30 second elevator pitch. If you were to get onto an elevator with the CEO of your dream job and you only had 30 seconds to convince them that you are the best candidate, what would you say? Interviewers often start off with a generic-sounding question like, ‘tell me a bit about yourself’. This is a good time to give your pitch and wow them!
- Do your research. Knowing everything there is to know about the position you are applying for, as well as the business itself will give you a great upper hand as it shows initiative and drive. This will also give you the ammunition to ask your own questions, which is always a good sign for interviewers.
- Practice. It may feel silly while you do it, but sit in front of a mirror and practice how you would speak to an interviewer and conduct yourself. Do you need to adjust your body language? Do you need to increase or decrease the volume of your voice? It may help to record yourself and look back on it as well. Additionally, do a quick Google search for the top interview questions in your field, and practice your answers.
- Don’t forget the little stuff. Plan ahead by knowing the exact location you need to go to for the interview, and plan your route so that you know how long to give yourself to arrive on time. Arriving slightly early will look really good, too! Be polite, smile, shake their hand (pre-and-post COVID-19, or after the application of hand sanitizer), and make eye contact throughout the entire interview. These little bits can go a long way!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to find your dream job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find jobs close to your business.