Renting a car on holiday can be an excellent option to travel locally and enjoy the sights and sounds. Gumtree outlines the following tips and tricks to avoid getting ripped off and get the most out of your holiday rental.
- Book your rental as soon as you plan your trip. If you leave it to the last minute, you may not have too many options of vehicles to choose from and end up spending more than the usual price.
- We know price is a factor when choosing your rental car but we recommend always reading the fine print before making a decision. Small, local car rental agencies may give you the cheapest quotes, but they may try to make it up with other factors including terrible mileage allowance.
- Where you rent from also matters. Airports may have the largest fleet of rental cars but they also charge extra levies that you should not waste your money on. Gumtree recommends renting from less crowded locations such as small provincial towns for the best prices possible.
- Most car rentals charge for GPS in the vehicle. However, with most of us carrying smartphones equipped with Google Maps or Waze, you can save money on renting a car sans GPS. Cool trick, right?
- Did you know car dealerships may also have their own car rental facility? These are not very well-publicised and tend to be cheaper than big name car rental agencies.
- Always take photos (closeup, faraway, exterior, interior) of the rental car before you leave the parking lot. This can be your back-up if, on return, you are told there is additional damage while the car was in your possession.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.