3D printers have revolutionised the way we create. Using a 3D printer, we can build items from digitally-produced models with ease. These creations are usually made of plastic, metal or composite materials. 3D printers are categorised under ‘additive manufacturing’ as materials are added layer by layer to create the final product.
Gumtree outlines the following tips to buy the right 3D printer for you.
- Before investing in a 3D printer, you must know which type you need: Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM), Stereolithography or Selective Laser Sintering (SLS).
- As 3D printers are used primarily to create, hobbyists are now looking to build their own 3D printer using instruction manuals and kits available online.
- Pricing is always a factor when considering any electronic product. High-end 3D printers can cost anywhere from $1000 to $2500 but if you are a beginner, you can go for one in the $100 price range. It is important to note that 3D printers do not come with the materials needed for printing.
- Consider which materials you will need to buy for your printing needs. The two most common materials used are Poly Lactic Acid (PLA) and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS).
- Always remember the safety issues associated with using a 3D printer. Heated plastics can be very dangerous and cause serious injuries. The fumes emitted, especially in the case of ABS plastics, may be a health hazard too.
- The two aspects that result in a high-quality 3D product are the print resolution and speed. Thus, if you are looking to create highly sophisticated objects, it is important to invest in a printer that excels in these two departments.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local electronic information close to home.