Choosing the right university to study at as well as the perfect course can be a daunting task. At Gumtree, we want to help you make that decision based on your interests and passions.
Read our top tips to choosing what and where to study:
- Why: Ask yourself why you are looking to study? Is it to gain a qualification or start a new career? Or are you looking to learn new skills to secure a promotion in your existing job?
- Your interests: Make a list of your interests and the associated courses. This can help you narrow down your choices.
- Location: Deciding what to study is confusing. But deciding where to study can be a whole different ball game. It may be useful to ask yourself which part of the world you would like to live in for a few years. Or find a location based on your course interests. For example, if you want to study marine biology, Australia with its coral reefs might be that perfect fit.
- Be realistic: When making these decisions, it is important to realistically consider several factors including affordability of tuition costs, standard of living and even flights. On the other hand, different courses have different durations. Do you know how long you can afford to study without a steady income? For example, a PhD can take 4 years – can you support yourself financially in this period?
- Due diligence: Finally, it is essential you do your own homework regarding the courses and universities you have narrowed down. Course prospectuses give you all the bells and whistles but it is your responsibility to speak to past and current students, check student blogs and read reviews before making the decision.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local job information close to home.