As with most decisions in life, it is best to be as prepared as possible before heading out on the open road, especially when driving long distances. There is nothing worse than being lost in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone reception, no snacks, and no idea where the next petrol station is.
So, in order to not forget any of the essentials, we’ve put together a simple road trip checklist:
- Do a quick check of your brakes, vehicle fluids, windshield wipers, and tyre pressure before heading out. If there are any visible signs of wear and tear, you will want to get them checked before you begin your trip.
- Bring a spare tyre and tyre jack with you.
- Stock up on water both to drink and to add to your wiper fluid should It get low.
- Have jumper cables handy.
- Invest in a GPS unit so that you always know where to go even in areas without cellphone reception.
- Pack an emergency kit with non-perishable food items, warm blankets, a first-aid kit, a cellphone charger, and a cellphone battery back-up.
- A portable cooler that can plug into the vehicle’s cigarette lighting connection would be a great way to keep your drinks cool without having to continually purchase bags of ice.
- Portable electronics like a laptop, e-reader, or tablet will be handy during down-time or breaks.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find road trip essentials close to home.