Whether you frequently drive long distances or simply use your ride to get you from A to B, sooner or later you are going to need to change your tyres. Unfortunately, this can cost an arm and a leg if you are adamant on purchasing them new. Luckily for you, Gumtree has a load of great quality, second-hand tyres for sale; a far more affordable option!
Here are a few things to look out for when purchasing second-hand tyres:
- Tread Depth. When you go to meet the seller in person, make sure you bring a one cent coin with you. Put the coin upside down into one of the tyre’s grooves; if only the year is covered, the tyre is bald and you should not purchase them.
- Exposed Cords. Irregular wear on a tyre can expose the braided steel cords inside the tyre. Look carefully, and if you notice these, say no to the deal.
- Bead Chunking. Take a good look at the bead areas (the two thick rings of rubber where the tyre contacts the rims); if you notice chunks missing, the tyre may have trouble sealing.
- Poor repairs. It goes without saying that checking for punctures should be a top priority, but looking for repairs that were done poorly is a must, too. If a puncture was repaired in any way other than with a full patch on the inside of the tyre, do not purchase them.
- Aging. Tyres age from the inside out, so start by checking that the Tyre Identification Number is still present on the sidewall. The first two numbers or letters indicate where the tyre was made, and the following four numbers indicate the date they were made. As a general rule of thumb, be wary of tyres that are more than 6 years old.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find second-hand tyres close to home.