Knowing exactly how to impress employers when vacancies are sparse during a pandemic is difficult. With higher than usual competition, and the decreased in-person interactions we’ve all had to endure, the thought of facing employers and standing out of the crowd can make looking for a job more stressful than ever. To make things a little easier, we’ve put together a short list of the top 5 skills employers are looking for today.
- Problem Solving. This may seem like a pretty obvious thing to list on your CV, but employers are able to notice if you have simply listed this because you think you should. Be prepared to answer some questions in the interview that clearly showcase how you have handled problems in the workplace and found solutions to complex problems.
- Leadership. Whether you are looking for a managerial role or not, having leaderships skills like being able to empathize with fellow employees, come up with ideas to solve problems, and take charge when others seem not to be are something that will put you at the top.
- Teamwork. This is more important now than ever. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have all had to resort to interacting and collaborating with our team members from afar, which does not come easily for many.
- Listening. Practice not interrupting others while they speak. Additionally, make it obvious that you are paying close attention when others are engaging with you.
- Creativity. Whether you are working in an artistic industry or not, creative thinking is an extremely important skill to have and employers will be looking for you to showcase your ability to do so.