Car detailing, also known as auto detailing, is a thorough vehicle maintenance process that involves a top to bottom cleaning using specialised equipment that can remove scratches, chipped paint and the like. Unlike a car wash, which does a superficial cleansing of grime and dirt, car detailing consists of washing, polishing, waxing, and degreasing, eliminating all blemishes and marks too. It is a type of reconditioning of the interiors and exteriors of the vehicle.
Gumtree outlines the various steps involved in a thorough car detailing process:
- Extensive wash with soap to remove all dirt, mud, and grime.
- Special brushes and tools are then used to remove dirt and filth from all components of the wheels including lug nuts and brake calipers.
- The paintwork is washed, dried and polished using microfibre towels and mitts.
- Next, an automotive clay bar is used to remove bonded dirt that is stuck onto the surface. This is followed by polishing to remove oxidation and light scratches.
- The paint is then waxed using carnauba paste wax for greater protection and durability.
- Finally, remaining parts of the car such as the windows are polished and cleaned.
- Upholstery is vacuumed and shampooed to eliminate dirt and stains.
- If the interiors are leather-based, they are conditioned to remove all ingrained dirt and grime.
- Finally, the glass from the interior is polished and cleaned.
- Some car detailing workshops also offer cleaning the engine bay thoroughly. However, most customers do not use this service as they are not too worried about what the car looks like under the hood.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local car and bakkie information close to home.