Gone are the days when we took pictures on Kodak films to commemorate life’s special moments. Today, thanks to our trusted smartphones, we can capture memories in an instant in high megapixels that can compete with any DSLR camera on the market! And all this without dragging around a bulky camera with its associated equipment such as tripods and bouncers.
Fun fact: it is estimated that the human race has taken over 3.8 trillion photographs and of course, this number continues to rise by the minute. But do you know the evolution of camera phones? Gumtree gives you the rundown:
- In May 1999, the first phone with a built-in camera was available to the public. The Kyocera VP-210 could take 20 photographs that could be transmitted through email too.
- The Sanyo SCP-5300 was produced in the US in November 2002. It had a 0.3- megapixel camera with a self-timer and zoom.
- By the end of 2003, over 80 million camera phones had been sold across the globe.
- In July 2004, Sprint released the PM8920 that could take pictures of 1280 x 960 pixel resolution. These pictures were of better quality and could be printed out too.
- It was the Nokia N90 that took camera phones to a whole new level. It was equipped with a 2-megapixel camera along with Carl Zeiss optics and an LED flash.
- 2007 saw the advent of the first 5-megapixel camera with Nokia’s N95 that took beautiful pictures and could also record video.
- In 2008, Samsung launched the i8510 (also known as INNOV8) with an 8-megapixel camera.
- 2010 was a big year as Samsung and Nokia released phones with 16-megapixel cameras!
- And the rest is history. The advent of smartphones with DSLR-quality cameras has revolutionised photography across the spectrum.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local electronic information close to home.