There is no doubt that the travel industry has taken a huge knock due to the pandemic and its subsequent lockdowns. People are not travelling as much and this has resulted in losses of millions of dollars for tour operators and travel agencies across the globe. But now with vaccination drives rolling out, people are feeling a tad bit more comfortable to travel to safe locations for that much-needed break. But how do you choose between a travel agency or a tour operator?
Gumtree gives you the inside scoop:
- A travel agency is able to provide travellers with a host of travel packages that have been developed by tour operators in various countries and regions. Thus, they do not develop their own packages, but instead depend on the various tour operators to provide them the information that they pass on to travellers.
- These agencies have the expertise to narrow down and select holiday packages for each individual traveller, based on budget, interests, and other criteria.
- Travel agents are a professional group of people who have the licenses and are qualified to book trips on behalf of travellers.
- Travel agents have tie-ups with hotels, motels, and other facilities that can offer industry discounts to travellers.
- A tour operator is the one with the thinking cap who researches and develops holiday ideas and packages that are used by travel agencies.
- They are responsible for all the contracting and planning i.e., hotel itineraries, meals, transport, guides, accommodation, and other logistical information.
- They sell these packages to the traveller directly or collaborate with a travel agency.
- There are several types of tour operators including inbound tour operators, domestic tour operators, ground tour operators and the like.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local services information close to home.