The COVID19 pandemic and South Africa’s lockdown has most of us feeling quite down. But there is one sure-fire way to keep yourself busy and boost your mood. Learning to play a new instrument! Recent studies have found a positive correlation between music and mood. In fact, listening to music that you enjoy is said to release pleasure-inducing hormones and reduce stress-inducing hormones. Sounds like a win to us!
Whether you are musically inclined or not, there are musical instruments out there to suit every skill level. Here are a few to consider when just starting out:
- Guitar. Playing the guitar is definitely as fun as it looks, and isn’t as difficult as it looks! Browse some ads on Gumtree for beginner’s guitars, as well as lessons and consider a few zoom lessons to get you started.
- Drums. If you live in an apartment complex, consider a silent set. If noise is not an issue, opt for the real deal. With over 300 drum ads on Gumtree today, you will have no shortage of options!
- Piano or Keyboard. Pianos are on the complicated end of instruments, but learning to play doesn’t have to be. Finding an experienced instructor is key! You’ll be surprised how quickly you can get the hang of it once you are taught the basic keys and how to read music.
- Flute. A flute is a small, compact instrument that is reasonably quiet; this is great for apartment living. It is fairly easy to learn, too! Browse Gumtree for an instructor near you.
- Harmonica. A harmonica is definitely the most compact, portable instrument… and a lot of fun, too! They are also the most affordable instrument around. After a lesson or two, all you will need is a whole bunch of practice experimenting with your own tunes.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find these items close to home.