You just arrived at work, turn on your computer ready to start the day and then IT happens. No, not the crazed killer clown from the Hollywood horror flick but is instead the mandatory Windows Updates.
Just like apps on a smartphone has to be updated regularly in order to work more efficiently, so too does the operating software of a computer. An internet connection is required to first download the update and then installed afterwards which requires the computer to be restarted. This can be particularly irritating if the work you need to do at that moment is urgent.
Fortunately, update restarts can also be rescheduled to be done at a later and more convenient date for the user so it helps to check the menu every now and again.
If you’re not sure where to find the Windows update section, these simple steps will help you find it on most computers:
- Click on the Windows button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Next, choose the Settings button that is represented by an icon that looks like a gear cog.
- Choose the Update/Security option which will automatically open up the Windows Update menu and show you the list of Security, New Features, Optional or Operating System updates available.
Gumtree lists the benefits of updating your Windows software:
- Operating System updates improve the overall speed of the computer and a faster boot up.
- Security updates protects against any known security threats like malware and hacking attacks.
- Removes any bugs and make changes to specific applications installed like Microsoft Office.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local property information close to home.