There’s nothing that screams South African like a good old-fashioned braai with some juicy steaks and Kameeldoring sausage sizzling on the grill.
Wood, fire starters and a lighter is all that is needed to get a fire going. Some prefer the traditional and longer way of braaing, while others maybe want the food done quicker and can do everything at the flick of a switch and turn of a knob by means of a gas braai setup.
Alva, JetMaster and Weber are some of the popular names in the world of gas braai’s and even though it might cost a pretty penny, it is considered a long-term investment.
Gumtree outlines the benefits of traditional wood braai vs gas:
- Thanks to the heat adjusting knobs, the food is cooked to readiness quicker.
- Most setups have a built-in temperature indicator that allows for overall heat retention when the is lid closed.
- The only thing that needs to be cleaned up once everything is done is the grid where the food was on and mess tray at the bottom – as opposed to clearing the leftover ash from a normal braai.
- One can braai and make a potjiekos at the same time with an even spread of hot coals.
- The dying coals provides some extra heat for those that want to warm themselves up or even roast some marshmallows.
- A braai is usually reserved for special occasions, and things like fire starters and wood are relatively inexpensive. Also, wood can be stored over time – instead of having to refill a gas tank.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local home and garden information close to home.