When we think of ways to keep our cars running smoothly, what comes to mind is taking good care of the engine, the car’s exterior and other mechanical parts. But don’t forget the interior; a space that deserves just as much attention as the rest.
We’ve put together a few tips on how to keep your car’s upholstery in great shape:
- Do some research and read some reviews on the best car upholstery cleaning solutions on the market. Try a few out and find the best one for you and the type of material your car’s seats are made of.
- Foam cleaners often work the best for stain removal; once sprayed onto the stain, the cleaner expands. Let it sit for a few minutes to help loosen and draw out the stain.
- Timing is everything, so once a stain appears or once someone spills something that has the potential of turning into a stain, clean it immediately to avoid further damage.
- The longer a stain sits, the harder it will be to remove and the higher chance it has of becoming a permanent addition to your car’s décor.
- Once a small rip appears, you will want to repair it straight away as well in order to prevent it from getting bigger and turning into a large hole that cannot be repaired.
- To repair a small rip, grab a thick string (no, one you used to repair your silk blouse will not hold up!), and sew the hole shut.
- Once a hole becomes too large to simply sew back together, repair the hole using a patch of cloth as close to the look of your car’s upholstery as possible.
- If all else fails and your ride is just beyond repair, there is always Gumtree!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a new-to-you car close to home.