The average person cannot afford to have multiple pieces of expensive, 24 carat gold necklaces and real diamond earrings unless we receive them as gifts. So, what we end up with is the next best thing: fashion jewellery! These are inexpensive pieces made from other metals, like brass or sterling silver, that follow the current fashion trends.
Take a read to find out how to properly take care of your fashion jewellery to keep it looking amazing for longer.
- Keep your jewellery dry.
- Do not wash dishes or swim with your jewellery on.
- Take your jewellery off before you head to the spa to avoid tarnishing them with oils.
- Avoid using jewellery cleaners meant for gold, silver, or platinum as the chemicals are too harsh for fashion jewellery only coated in these precious metals.
- Put your jewellery on AFTER you apply lotion or perfume, makeup and hairspray.
- Remove your jewellery before strenuous activities.
- When storing your fashion jewellery, use anti-tarnish paper, and avoid air.
- Clean brass jewellery with lemon juice, tomato sauce or vinegar and salt.
- Clean sterling silver by lining a baking tray with aluminium foil, spreading the jewellery out, sprinkling baking soda onto each piece, and then pouring boiling water over top.
- Wash all other fashion jewellery pieces using soap, baking soda, and water.
- Be sure to pat everything completely dry; letting it dry slowly on its own can cause premature rust.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find fashion jewellery close to home.