Many of us are bound to take a local road trip or two this summer, especially with the threat of further lockdowns looming over our heads. Summer is the perfect time to get out and about with the family with the bonus of not having to be around too many people. You could say it is pandemic approved!
Here are a few tips to make it a family vacation to remember (for good reasons, if you get what we’re saying!):
- Ration the drinks and snacks so that you don’t have to make too many unplanned and unnecessary pit stops.
- Map out your stops before you leave, including fun and educational ones like a historical landmark or hill you can run up that is known to have an amazing view at the top.
- Make a fully-packed first aid kit for emergencies. With kids around, someone is bound to get a scratch or two.
- Make a few music playlists to sing along to.
- Plan some road trip games like ‘I spy’ and ‘Name that tune’, so the kids don’t have to resort to screen time in order to enjoy the journey.
- Try to pack as many low sugar snacks as possible. The last thing you want are a bunch of kids in the back with an extreme sugar high. Some great options are popcorn, pretzels, veggies and dip, a variety of fruit, and some lightly salted nuts.
- Don’t forget a pair of headphones for each child. There will inevitably come a point where not everyone agrees on which song to listen to or what show to watch on their IPad.
- If you have super young children, pack a few toys they have not seen in a while. Bring out only one at a time to keep them interested for longer periods of time!
Now that you have the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find road trip essentials close to home.