The thought of finding a job in a world with so many possibilities, yet an equal amount of competition is daunting enough. Add the element of safety and if you’re not careful, fear can end your job search before it even begins.
At Gumtree, safety of our users is of the utmost importance to us. While we cannot ultimately control what happens outside of our platform, we can do our best to arm you with the knowledge and tools you will need to not only find the best job for you, but to ensure you stay safe along the way.
Let’s get one fact straight: fraud is out there, whether we like it or not. While we do our best to remove and reprimand fraudsters on Gumtree, there may be a few that slip through the cracks.
Firstly, if you find a job vacancy you would like to apply for, we highly recommend starting with an internet search of the business beforehand to ensure they are legitimate.
Secondly, knowledge is power (as you may have heard us say before!), so be sure to ask as many questions as you have about the business or the role before meeting face to face. Employers with vague, poorly-thought-out responses should be approached with caution.
So, what are some other signs of employer fraud you should be on the lookout for?
- The employer asks you to transfer cash to pay for a uniform or other materials needed for the job.
- The business cannot be found during an internet search.
- The employer refuses to interview you and hires you without a face-to-face meeting.
- The employer asks you to call for an interview, rather than them calling you.
- The employer sends you unusual documents. Be wary of opening these attachments and ensure you have up-to-date antivirus software before proceeding.
- The employer asks for private, sensitive information over email. This type of information should only be given in person.
- The offer seems too good to be true. You know the saying… if it’s too good to be true, it probably is!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to search for your dream job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find jobs close to home.