We’ve all heard that in order to grow muscle we need to lift weights, but unfortunately it is not that simple. Muscle growth requires weight lifting of some sort, yes, but it requires that we tick a few other boxes simultaneously.
Here is how it works.
- Gaining muscle requires eating more calories than you are burning. This may seem scary, but the important part here is that the calories you are consuming are the healthiest ones possible.
- Gaining muscle requires eating enough protein. A good rule of thumb is to consume around 0.6 – 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
- In order to gain muscle evenly, you must train each muscle at least 2-3 times per week.
- Add more muscle by prioritizing multi-joint lifting as this focuses on the entire body. Instead of having ‘leg day’ and ‘arm day’ pic 2-3 exercises to do for each area of the body at each workout.
- There is no magic number when it comes to how many reps you should be doing, but a good rule of thumb is to stick to weights that allow you to do between 5-15 reps per set. Choosing a high weight that you can only lift one or two times can cause more harm than good.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for the perfect workout.