When considered renting a property, one of the first things to determine is if you want a furnished or unfurnished home. How do you choose? Of course, both types of properties have their share of pros and cons and understanding them can help you make that decision.
Gumtree outlines the advantages and disadvantages of furnished and unfurnished rental properties below:
Renting a furnished property
- Renting a furnished property has less hassles as you do not have to invest in furniture for every room. It can be an excellent option if you have moved from a different country or province and do not have too much furniture of your own. For tenants who are not looking to rent on a long-term basis, a furnished property and its turnkey approach can be beneficial.
- Another great benefit is that renting a furnished property can help you save thousands of Rands on furniture and décor.
- Most furnished rental properties stick to a neutral look and feel. So, you may not feel at home as the aesthetics do not align with your personality. On the other hand, if a landlord has used loud colours or unconventional décor, this may also put potential tenants off.
- If you rent a furnished property, chances are you may not be able to make any structural changes such as putting up pictures or changing the paint.
Renting an unfurnished property
- An unfurnished property gives you the freedom to choose its look and feel according to your style.
- These are perfect for long-term renters who are looking to create a home rather than just a space to live in.
- Unlike a furnished property, renting an unfurnished one can cost you thousands of Rands on furniture, appliances and décor.
- In the event of moving, you will have to spend more on the transport of all the furniture you bought. It is important to remember that furnishing a home is a long-term commitment.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local property information close to home.