Adding rims to the tyres of your car not only enhances the look and aesthetics of the
vehicle, but also improves performance with a better and smoother driving experience. It provides leverage and reduces friction making for a safer drive too. On the other hand, rims may also need to be added if existing tyres are damaged or undergo wear and tear resulting in vibration or bumpiness.
Gumtree provides the pros and cons of adding custom rims to your vehicle:
1. Larger rims can look great on the tyres as they fill the arches, providing a more customised look to the car. Give your old car a makeover with sporty rims, enhancing the overall design.
2. Alloy rims are perfect for city driving as they increase airflow to the braking system.
3. Installing rims that are an inch or two bigger than your existing wheels enhance the overall performance and road handling of the vehicle.
4. Most big and wide rims and wheels can improve grip and traction as there is more rubber on the road. This leads to better car handling and easier driving.
1. Heavier rims, such as those made of steel add weight to the vehicle, which in turn can decrease performance and stability.
2. Rims that are much larger than the existing tyres can adversely affect the suspension system of the vehicle. This loss of suspension can be felt especially over bumps and potholes on the road.
3. Larger, heavier rims can also affect the overall weight of the vehicle, which in turn can increase fuel consumption.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local cars and bakkie information close to home.