It should be no secret that Gumtree is full of quality gems, if you know where and how to look. The same goes for clothing. Is vintage your thing? Before heading off to a boutique selling extremely over-priced vintage clothing, Gumtree’s Fashion category should definitely be your first stop.
Here are a few tips when browsing for vintage clothing on Gumtree:
- Before you get started, keep in mind that these items will not be perfect. Even the most well cared-for pieces will have some wear or tear as vintage pieces have been around for decades.
- However, keep your eye out for anything wrong that could not be easily fixed or mended. Stay away from these!
- Stay away from fabric that has yellowed over time or that has stains as these will be nearly impossible to clean after such a long time.
- If you find the perfect piece but find it has a small tear or some fraying on the edges, don’t shy away. These can be easily fixed by a tailor or vintage specialist.
- Don’t forget to check things like buttons, zippers, and labels to ensure there is no irreparable damage or if there are simple fixes.
- Pay special attention to garments labeled as highly popular brands like Gucci and Chanel. Do your research ahead of time to find ways to spot a fake. The logo and labels should be altered, but the difference is usually so slight that an unconcerned buyer may miss it completely.