TOP TIPS FOR SELLING YOUR CAR
Million of South Africans are selling their cars online! There are seven basic boxes to tick to get the best price.
- Get the paperwork in order
You need to have proof of ownership and a valid licence disc. Visit your local council with your ID to request a duplicate copy of the vehicle’s registration papers.
- Have the book
Make sure you have the service and warranty books in the cubby hole.
- Service history
Having a documented full-service history is worth gold. It adds value and provides peace of mind to the buyer.
- Service it
If your car is close in mileage to its next service, why not have it done? This will appeal to the potential new owner and you might be able to add the service costs to the resale price.
- Fresh tyres and bodywork
If the tyres are worn, replace them, and make sure you attend to parking lot dents and scratches. Again you could build these costs into your resale price.
- Deep clean
Clean out all the trash – remove all personal items such as CDs, tow ropes or jumper cables. Invest in a thorough valet of the body and steam clean the interior, boot and engine bay.
- Get Roadworthy
Get a Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) before selling your car. It costs only a few rand but can add thousands in value and avoids any hitches in the sale and any liability for selling a defective vehicle.
Once you have prepped your car for sale, load your free ad on Gumtree, which includes the following:
- A reasonable price – use the Gumtree Price Checker to check the current national price, average price by kilometres, total number of current listings within that category as well as the most common colours searched for at the time.
- Clear photographs of your vehicle from all angles that clearly depict the condition.
- A catchy headline as well as a short description, which includes the model, year, mileage, history and condition.
- That all the necessary paperwork is ready for resale and on hand. Be sure to alert the possible buyer about any issues.
- Your email address and contact number.