Your child’s caregiver or your nanny is an integral part of the family. Choosing the right nanny requires extensive research and due diligence on your part as they are closely associated with your children over long periods of time. When looking for a nanny, it is important to make a checklist of important questions that you ask yourself to narrow down the selection.
Gumtree gives you a few of these below:
- Is there a preferred age group that the nanny should belong to?
- Should the nanny be from a specific cultural or religious background?
- Should the nanny be quiet or loud and energetic?
- Should the nanny live at home or out?
- Do you mind if the nanny is a man or woman?
Once you have answered these, you can begin the interview process with the following questions to ask candidates:
- How long have you worked as a nanny for?
- How many jobs as a nanny have you had?
- What age group of children are you comfortable working with?
- Describe what a typical day with you and the children is like?
- What are the kinds of activities you would do with the children?
- Do you discipline the children? If so, how?
- Have you handled emergencies in the family before? What is the process you follow?
- What would you do if my child has had an accident or fallen sick?
- Why did you choose to be a nanny? What do you enjoy most about it? What do you like least about it?
- How many hours in a day would you like to work?
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local services close to home.