Looking for a new apartment to live in can be stressful, but when you are looking for one with a pet as a roommate, the process gets just that much harder. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you find the perfect, pet-friendly apartment.
- Don’t leave your search to the last minute, if you can. While there can be times where you have very little notice and need to find a new place quickly, often times you know a month or two in advance. Many landlords don’t like to have pets live on their properties, so it might be slim pickings. Leaving your search to the last minute may leave you with nothing at all.
- Be truthful. While you can lie to the landlord and say you don’t have pets in order to get the place you want, this is not recommended; they are likely to find out at a later date and this will sour the relationship.
- Tell the landlord about your pet, and do some ‘talking-up’, if you will. Highlight your pet’s positive features so that they feel more comfortable renting their home out to you.
- Be understanding of their experiences. The landlord may have had a terrible tenant in the past who let their dog trash the apartment; be understanding that this may have caused reservations. Do your best to reassure them that your pet will not do the same, and provide references they can contact to corroborate your story.
- Narrow down your search by checking the ‘pet-friendly’ option in the filters section on Gumtree. This should help you find plenty of options without you having to ask the landlord whether pets are an option or not.