Whether you want to lose weight or simply want to get your heart pumping to feel a little healthier, running is a great option! Here are our top 10 tips to help new runners feel confident in their shoes.
- It is never too late to start running! But if you have never run before, start slow. Don’t expect to be able to run 5k on day one, and we don’t recommend trying as you can strain your muscles if your body is not used to the new movements.
- Don’t worry about forking out cash for expensive running kit. All you need is a comfortable and supportive pair of running shoes and something comfortable, and stretchy to wear.
- Start out with a slow pace. The best way to know if you are running at a good pace is if you can hold up a conversation with answers more than a simple yes or no.
- Use both your nose and mouth to breathe while running. Breathe in through your nose, and out through your mouth.
- Try not to eat right before you run as you are likely to get a cramp. Rather eat about 1.5 hours before you go. This should give you the energy you need without the uncomfortable side stitch!
- Eat something high in carbohydrates and low in fat before you run.
- When just starting out, try giving your body a break in between runs. Choosing to run every second day is a good place to start!
- Hydrate before, during, and after your run. But, be careful not to over hydrate as this can case a cramp, too. Additionally, you don’t want to have to run to the loo half way through!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find running clothing and accessories close to home.