Cape Town is home to some of South Africa’s most magnificent sights and sounds. If you’re a thrill-seeker who isn’t afraid of heights and wants to try something new, boarding the Sky-Hi Ride should be on the list.
The ride officially opened on 22 May 2021, and if you’ve ever heard about it and w0ndered where exactly the Sky Hi Ride is situated, it’s on the 28th floor of Hotel Sky in the Cape Town City Centre.
Once everyone is seated and buckled in, the ride slowly makes its way towards the top, stays still for about 10 – 15 seconds, and then drops down slowly towards the wooden rooftop deck. People can also purchase GoPro video footage of their experience if they wish to do so.
The Ratanga Junction theme park once served as the city’s sole amusement attraction but closed its doors in 2018. The lack of regular demand, the seasonal weather, expensive maintenance, operating costs, and the old equipment serve as some of the main operational reasons for the park’s closure.
Here are a few things to know about the Sky-Hi Ride and also to better prepare yourself:
- It is limited to 10 people.
- The ride is operational from Tuesday to Sunday between 12 and 8pm.
- Tickets cost R200 per person.
- To ride, you must be between the ages of 8 and 65, with a minimum height of 1.3 metres and a maximum height of 1.85 metres.
- The ride reaches a free fall speed of up to 100km/h per hour and almost 4G’s in force.
- It is one of only three such rides in the world and the first of its kind in Africa.
- Sky High Ride extends 146 meters above the city bowl.
If you are planning to go on the ride, Gumtree lists a couple of precautions to be mindful of:
- The ride is weather dependent and cannot operate under certain windy conditions, heavy mist or rain.
- Cancellations will be only be offered should the ride be cancelled by us due to weather.
- Passengers with health complications like having a pacemaker fitted, suffering from heart disease, are pregnant, have a mental disorder, are less abled, have injuries to their backbone or vertebrae or suffer from hypertension are not allowed on the ride.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local service information close to home.