There is no doubt that being a nurse is one of the most noble professions in the world. If you have a penchant of helping others and a love for medicine, this may be the right career path for you. However, the job is gruelling, exhausting but considered highly satisfying. In this pandemic-stricken world, we should honour and thank the nurses and medical professionals who are working tirelessly to heal and protect humankind. However, if you are a nurse who is looking to work in a hospital, Gumtree offers the following pros and cons you should be aware of:
Pros of working in a hospital:
- For a nurse, working in a hospital means touching hundreds of lives and making a significant impact. Nurses are the first line of comfort and communication for patients, helping them get back on their feet every day.
- Unlike a regular 9 to 5 job, a nurse in a hospital never has the same day twice! With several patients and varied health conditions, there is no scope for boredom or monotony.
- Nurses work in tandem with several other medical professionals including doctors, medical assistants, lad techs, pharmacists and more. Each of these professionals has one goal: the well-being of the patient. Thus, this type of work encourages collaboration and teamwork.
Cons of working in a hospital:
- A nurse has to deal with patients of all temperaments, some who may be rude or unruly.
- Nurses in hospitals see a lot of death and grief on a regular basis, which can affect their mental health too.
- Long hours, running from pillar to post, meeting scores of patients – this can be highly draining physically and mentally.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local job information close to home.