It is said that by 2030, the UK government will put a stop to the sale of petrol and diesel- powered vehicles due to environmental reasons. The popularity of electric cars has been steadily growing over the last few years in America and Europe. However, the situation in
South Africa is slightly different. One of the biggest considerations, of course, is price. The South African government does not incentivise the purchase of electric cars, unlike its American and European counterparts. The import duty levied on these cars is a whopping 25%. However, all is not bleak.
Gumtree outlines the pros and cons of owning an electric vehicle.
- Environment-friendly: Electric cars are better for the environment than traditional Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) as they do not have an exhaust system or emissions.
- Less noisy: Electric cars run very quietly as they run on battery power.
- Easier maintenance: As electric cars do not have a gas or diesel engine, the need for maintenance is less frequent and less expensive.
- Long-term savings: Electricity is less expensive than gas or diesel, leading to greater savings in the long run.
- Shorter range: Electric cars do not have a long range like ICE cars, between 60 – 100 miles on a full charge.
- More expensive: An electric car is at least $10,000 more expensive than a similar type of gas or diesel-powered car.
- Charging stations: It can be difficult to find a charging station whenever you need one, especially in South Africa. This makes it impossible to use an electric car for a road trip.
- Less variety: There are very few models to choose from, especially compared to the hundreds available in gas and diesel options.
- Recharging: A full charge for an electric car can take up to 22 hours.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find cars and bakkies close to home.