Climate change is a very real thing, and with that, our Summers are getting longer and hotter. While preparing ourselves for a hot summer is on our radar (Hello, sunscreen!), preparing your home for a hot summer is not something we really think about. With these ten energy-saving tips, your home should stay nice and cool this coming Summer.
- Install a programmable thermostat to allow you to set automatic temperatures inside your home, like having things cooler while you are home, and warmer while you are out.
- HVAC filters get a lot more use during the summer, so check it every 30 days or so throughout the summer and replace it when necessary.
- Exercise your green thumb by strategically planting large shrubbery or trees close to window to prevent them from transferring extra heat into the home.
- If using plants to your advantage is not an option, opt for exterior window coverings with sun ray protection.
- When the AC unit is running, make sure all windows and doors are closed. If air escapes the home, the AC unit uses extra energy to make the space cool, which in turn costs you extra money.
- If you have an old fridge or one that hasn’t been serviced lately, you may see that your electricity is getting used up quickly during the hotter months. Consider cleaning your refrigerator coils to ensure it is running efficiently.
- If having an AC unit is out of your price range, consider installing ceilings fans in high traffic areas.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need to prepare your house for a hot summer close to home.