Textbooks, while an essential part of your post-secondary education, are often quite an investment, especially for students. The good news is that the same textbook is often used for many semesters, so selling your gently used versions can be a great way to get some of your money back while helping other students save money, too.
If you have a few textbooks collecting dust, follow these tips for selling them on Gumtree for extra cash:
- Try to sell them as soon as possible once your class has ended. Some textbooks become out of date within a year or two, so waiting too long could mean no sale can be made at all.
- When creating your advert on Gumtree, make sure to be as specific as possible when it comes to the publishing details; some classes require you to purchase a textbook of at least a certain year, so potential buyers will want to be certain they’re grabbing the right one.
- List all details clearly including the title of the book, the version number, what class it was used for, and the author.
- Be honest about the condition of the book and list any damage or whether the book has been written in or not.
- Take well-lit, clear images of the book’s cover, a few interior pages, as well as any spots that have been damaged.
- To have your ad easily identifiable, have the photo of the book’s cover be the main image for your ad.
- Consider the condition of your book when coming up with pricing. If it is like new, sell it at a 20% discount from the original price. If there is significant wear or has writing and highlighted sections inside, discount more generously.
- Browse Gumtree to see what similar textbooks in similar conditions are selling for, and use this as inspiration if you are still unsure on what to price yours at.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to sell your second-hand textbooks! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find buyers close to home.