Despite what your funky uncle says, a lawyer is not a lawyer. The full body of law in South African is vast and includes multiple different disciplines from property to contract to criminal law. If you’re in need of an attorney, your first mistake is believing that every type of attorney can represent you with your specific needs. To ensure you know exactly who you need to hire, keep reading for a full list of the different types of attorneys and what they specialize in.
- Criminal Lawyer. For those charged with a crime.
- Personal Injury Attorney. For those who have been injured as a result of another party’s negligence or deliberate actions.
- Family Lawyer. For any legal issues relating to family relationships, such as marriage, adoption, divorce, and child custody.
- Intellectual Property Lawyer. For things like trademarks, patents, copyrights, and registering designs.
- Estate Planning Attorney. For wills, trusts, and deceased estates.
- Medical Malpractice Attorney. For those harmed as a result of medical malpractice.
- Corporate Attorney. For legal aspects of setting up and running a large business.
- Labour Lawyer. For those requiring legal advice as an employee or employer.